Friday 9 September 2011

An FO at last - Finished object Friday

There has been a lot of knitting going on. Which is partly the reason I've been blogging less. Not that I've got much to show for it because it's not just hats you know. Nonono, I've been brave. Big time. There are two really rather huge pieces on my needles, in fact, I think I was still at school when I last ventured into knitting big things, like cardigans or jumpers for fully grown people. That's like over 20 years ago...

But finally, with a few birthdays of very special girls coming up, and rather a lot of babes in utero being due at around about the same two week span, it's been a race against time (often lost).
And yes, one finished object to show for all the knitting. Pathetic, I know. However I do like this little knit, so much so that a second one is as good as done.

I picked up the pattern from the Tramway Cafe in Glasgow, where there was a pile of knitting patterns nobody wanted. I'm not sure why nobody wanted this - it's a lovely knit, a bolero jacket for newborn to 10 years. Reasonably easy (if you can read patterns, I usually can but I've been a bit sleep deprived and may have slipped here and there and recovered with a bit of cheating), and yet lovely. I like it anyway.
This version is knit with merino wool, super soft Debbie Bliss cashmerino DK. It's soft yet really warm for the winter.


Then I tried it in cotton, Rowan Milk Cotton DK. Much lighter, definitely more a spring time knit. Once again, my personal favourite isn't the cotton. Maybe I should just stop buying cotton yarn because I always end up preferring wool. It's not bad, you know, just not as soft and fluffy.

4 year old insisted on the sparkly pink fabric to be placed in the photo frame, because pink is good and it's her favourite toy. Who would argue with that.

Pattern is Sirdar Lacy Bolero.

4 comments:

Very Bored in Catalunya said...

Ooh that's lovely, I've been knitting lots at the minute. I think I prefer to knit with cotton, it doesn't set my teeth on edge as much as wool does.

Jen Walshaw said...

They are beautiful. I still can not knit

Kerri @ baby monitors online said...

Aw that cardigan is lovely! I'm embarrassed to say that I have not yet tried to knit anything before, it it something I plan to try sometime though :)

Muddling Along said...

That's really lovely - good luck in the race against time (am having a similar race - so far am making progress but its going to be close)

addthis

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin