Saturday 17 September 2011

Things I forgot in the past 12 months

After four weeks back at work, there's a few things I realised I'd entirely forgotten:

- It's amazingly cool to sit down at my desk and be able to concentrate on a job that needs done without any interruption other than being asked if I want a cuppa.

- Tea tastes better hot.

- Adult conversations that last longer than 10 seconds are pretty fun, even though I'm a bit rusty.

- I feel totally and utterly good about myself because I'm doing work that goes from A to D via B and C and is not eternally interrupted by whining, bum wiping, food providing and baby holding. Yay, I feel like I'm being productive.

- That mummy guilt disappears once baby smiles when dropped off AND picked up .

- That it feels horrible when baby cries when dropped off AND picked up.

- That baby will start enjoying nursery.

- That I have some really amazingly lovely colleagues.

- And that having a 3 day working week (though temporary until my accrued annual leave is used up) is in fact the perfect work / life balance for me.

Shame it looks like I'll be made redundant at the end of the year. Which once again proves that just when you thought you had your life all sussed out, someone in the background was just having a bad joke with you.

6 comments:

Celia said...

It was so hard to go back to work after having a baby, but I needed the money, so I did it.

cartside said...

It's definitely not easy. I considered staying at home, but there are a lot of variables to consider, money but also my own career and the financial loss of leaving a job and having to start at a much lower wage bracket again (the blight of the voluntary sector). After the first hard 4 weeks, I'm also enjoying both being at work and being home (whereas when I was at home all the time, I got quite stressed on occasions)

Little M said...

I know how you feel! I am not working anymore because we are moving to the States, but I actually enjoyed commuting and having adult conversations sans interruptions! Best of luck, enjoy!

x

Terra said...

Oh dear, I still miss working! I can't wait to get back to work... adult conversations--yay!

Muddling Along said...

I'm glad its going well (and hope the redundancy doesn't happen or if it does leads to something new and exciting)

I found being able to go to the loo on my own a BIG benefit of working!

Grumpy Old Mummy said...

Personally speaking, I found that my children have really benefited from a little bit of time in childcare. And isn't it lovely to have adult conversation with no interruptions!

addthis

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin