Thursday 9 September 2010

soft and fluffy bamboo

My knitting has been a little bit neglected, though I've been working on two projects, one for baby and one for Cubling and really they've been needing finishing touches only for the last few weeks. Thanks to about 10 litres of water retained in my extremeties, it's been hard going though. I don't quite get the physicalities of it, considering I can type without problems, do most things normally but as soon as I've got needles in my hand, my right hand goes numb with pins and needles, which is kind of ironic, don't you think?

Anyway, I struggled hard to find knitting patterns that are reasonably gender neutral, and this one was a great little knit. Funny how I like the simple knits these days, I mean I could go for something more complicated but I veer towards the traditional and simple patterns. The Garter Yoke Baby Cardigan is a free pattern on Ravelry, a simple garter stitch and stockinette stitch cardigan for a baby, all in one piece so with minimum finishing action (I love that, I'm a great fan of all in one piece knits because I'm lazy at heart and don't particularly like sewing up). Plus I was able to use the wonderful buttons that J. gave me a while back.


I got the yarn (Wendy Happy) from our local yarn shop, inspired by a displayed cardigan knit in a different colour scheme - I loved the look and feel of it. However it's not an easy yarn to knit with, it's so soft and delicate that I regularly lost stitches (which doesn't happen to me often). Of course, soft and delicate is just right for a baby, and the one skein was more than sufficient for the whole cardigan. It's a bamboo nylon mix and maybe knitting bamboo on bamboo needles is bound to be a slippery affair. It's been all worth it though, the softness is next to none, and it just falls into place without any pressing. I think it's meant to be a sock yarn - not sure about this, it's almost a bit too soft for socks...

Cubling's jumper is almost done too and if baby stays put, it'll be done this week even. Of course, I can't wait to put this cardigan on Tiddler, I'm sure it'll look better than on this hanger...

addthis

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin