Monday 24 August 2009

Introducing:

My little niece I., born on 20th August 2009 at 3.11pm, weighing 8lbs 7oz (same as Cubling!).
She started rooting almost instantly, and has already slept through the night. Clever girl.

She was born by c-section much to the dismay of my sister in law who had so hoped to avoid the lengthy recovery, especially because big brother was so keen to meet his sister so he could run again with his mum. However, when the decision was made that a c-section was necessary, there really wasn't a realistic alternative, it was the safest option and even a natural birth advocate like me had to concede that this was a no brainer. I so felt for my sister in law, acutely remembering how I felt when a c-section was suggested to me (which I just about avoided). She'd tried so hard both times, and still a natural birth was taken from her again.

Personally, I'd been rather worried about the possibility of a section - I'm one to faint when drip needles are set, blood is drawn or when I get a jag at the dentist. And I wanted to be of use, not faint in the theatre. Strangely though, our minds work in mysterious ways and all I was focused on was to calm my sister in law as best as possible in this situation, and to see my beautiful little niece being born. Yes, I looked and even saw her bum coming out (after prompting by the nice anaestethist who encouraged me to look after I showed curiosity when her head was born). She looked so rosy for a newborn, so big, so healthy.

The hospital allowed plenty of skin to skin, so much more than I got when Cubling was born, and the baby only got weighed much later. She stayed in the same room as her mum all the time, again in contrast to my own experience. It was really nice to see, no prodding, no nothing, just plenty of cuddling up to her mummy which she clearly enjoyed.

I got home utterly exhausted at about 9.30pm, not that I did much all day, it must be that witnessing labour and the emotions of the day did take some energy.

As soon as I. was out of theatre, she started to root, latch and feed within an hour after birth, such an amazing thing to see.

As one of the birth partners, I was privileged to spend a lot of time with mum and new baby, and I got rather emotional yesterday as she snoozed in my arm and I realised that I'd seen this beautiful and strong little girl being born, such a special moment to witness, which I shall treasure forever.

8 comments:

Mwa said...

Congratulations on the new arrival! I hope the mother recovers soon from the c-section.

Unknown said...

Well done! Sounds like you have a day you wont forget and brilliant news that all is well. Im so pleased that you have a lovely healthy addition to your family. Beautiful name (from twitter). Its making me feel very broody. Im hoping for other news from Scotland soon ...

PippaD said...

Wow an amazing experience. Give that baby a kiss from me please :)

Kat - Housewife Confidential said...

How wonderful!

smashedpea said...

Congratulations, Auntie :)

C-sections do suck, but you do what you gotta do to make sure it works out well for both Mom and baby. For what it's worth, recovery for my second (also very much unwanted) c-section was much quicker and a lot less painful than it was the first time around. Hope it goes well for your SIL!

cartside said...

Thanks everyone!

Zooarchaeologist, oh she made me broody too, I can tell you! And no, I don't have any news yet
:(

Smashedpea: That's good to hear, will pass this on to her and it may help keep spirits up!

san said...

Congratulations to all. She's beautiful x

Alex said...

She looks lovely and peaceful. Ours do the lovely but need to work on the peaceful :)

addthis

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin